Financial Assistance

Financial Assistance is available to all kinship caregivers by going to the Utah Division of Workforce Services. The financial aid is referred to as the “Specified Relative Grant.” This financial assistance is not based on the caregiver’s financial status or need but on the child’s assets or income.


This grant also gives the child a Medicaid card for medical, mental health, and dental care. You DO NOT need to have guardianship or custody of the child to apply for this grant or Medicaid. You will need to bring a copy of the child’s birth certificate and your birth certificate to show that you are biologically related to the child. You will also be required to give information to the Office of Recovery Service regarding the location of the biological parents of the child. This will enable the state of Utah to recoup this expense from the child’s parents.

For more information, please visit the Workforce Services website at